Friday, October 27, 2017

new toy

 
Yes, it's a Table Saw! I've been wanting one for several years for DIY projects around the house. I have a handheld circular saw, which is fine for some things, but it gets awfully tedious when you have to cut a number of pieces to the same size (kind of like quilting). I have to mark each board, then clamp a straight edge guide to the board, then secure the board with more clamps to a work table, then saw, then undo all the clamps and repeat. With a table saw I should be able to set the guides on the table and then slide each board through the blade and out the other side.


Before I could start learning how to use the saw I had to build a table to secure the saw at the same level as my work table. I wanted it to be mobile, so I could roll it into a corner of the garage when not in use, which meant adding casters. I built most of the table in a day, and spent another few days back and forth to the big box store to replace a board I messed up and to find hardware to actually secure the saw. The whole time I was sawing boards I kept thinking "this would be so much easier with a table saw." I spent another day attaching miscellaneous saw parts, and learning how to undo and redo different things. Today I'm finally going to plug in the saw and see if it actually works.

No comments: