Thursday, January 4, 2018

Puccini


This is one of those collages that mostly made itself, my usual "modus operandi", but I didn't mind slipping into an old habit today. And really, if these pieces wish to congregate, who am I to prevent them?

I spent most of yesterday going through three boxes of old clippings, discarding many images and color combinations I no longer like so much. This morning I tackled a fourth box. Organizing my clippings hasn't worked for me in the past, but I divided what papers I had left into three broad categories: people, larger pieces for backgrounds or color combinations, and non-human creatures mixed with type. Into the now-empty fourth box I dumped my "snide remarks" and "teeny tinies" from three smaller boxes. In effect, I downsized from seven to four boxes. Along the way Puccini and Japan ran into one another.

During the sorting process I got ideas for some new compositions, and I spread those items out on the kitchen table, and added a brief note to each pile about my idea. We'll see how or if this form of organization works.

No comments: