Saturday, August 13, 2016

Reupholstery Project

I've had four of these dining chairs for about 20 years, and I decided it was time to change their look. I found some upholstery fabric, watched a lot of videos on YouTube, and dove into my first reupholstery project. After removing the fabric from the first chair I knew I was right about change: the old fabric was so dark and filthy when compared to the original color. You couldn't tell so much when it was still on the chair.



I used a manual stapler to attach the new fabric to the seat, which is made of particleboard.  I have some arthritis in my hands and sometimes had to use both hands to pull the lever on the stapler. It's not easy to hold the fabric in position if you need two hands to staple! I also had to allow a day or two between stapling sessions for my hands to recover. I felt it was worth all the trouble after I got the chairs put back together.

Here's one of the finished chairs. I love the new fabric; it's called "Jungle Jam". It's like getting a whole new set of chairs.

If I do another upholstery project in the future I think I will buy a pneumatic stapler. So much easier on the hands, and faster, too.


No comments: