Sunday, February 25, 2018
The other thing was that working on my sewing projects was taking a toll on my back. I would spend hours bending over a too-low table and have to suffer with a painfully stiff back for several days before I could get back to work. Then it was a vicious cycle of more bending, more stiffness, more delay.
I had seen some folks online who had made workspaces with some 36 inch tall cubicle storage units and that seemed like something I could put together quickly. I still had two old 24x80" doors I removed from a closet and I thought they might make a good table top. The doors are temporarily held in place with a couple of clamps, but I'll screw them to the storage units once I figure out the table's permanent location.
Friday, February 23, 2018
A day or two later more cold weather, wind and rain arrived. I had no ideas for collages so I occupied myself with ink experiments.
Cards #47-53. I seem to be working in small batches every few days now instead of the daily sessions I did at the beginning of January.
|Me at the beginning of the week|
|Me a few days later|
This collage started as one thing, became something else, and finally became covered with black paint when I didn't like any of the results. I got some practice lettering with my new nib.
My version of color swatching.
Red & Bright Red
Yellow & Golden Yellow
Blue, Turquoise, Grass Green
Red & Yellow
Red & Grass Green
Red lines were made with Speedball nib dipped in Red.
I drew over the outer lines with a Black Pitt pen.
Friday, February 16, 2018
I've been recycling bits of junk mail and other cardboard all week. A salon advert, a page of stickers and a seed catalog produced the "40%" background, some garishly bright woven squares, and the quilt-like design at the bottom.
My favorite this week is to the right, somewhat minimal with spots of purple, blue and yellow. I may try this color combo again sometime. It's not one I would usually think about.
Thursday, February 8, 2018
|Medusa Goes Vegan|
I got a few more colors of Dr Martin's india ink, so a few collages are me testing different brushes and dilutions. I also gave up the search for my pen nibs and bought two new ones, which meant I had to practice with them, too. I'm still hoping my old nibs will turn up.
I've also been making progress on my quilt project. This is my 2nd quilt. It will be about 68x68 inches square when finished, so it's quite a big larger than the crib-sized quilt I made for my first project. I thought I should make a traditional kind of quilt to start with and after getting this far I find I'm not in love with the process. I'm going to try a more modern method for my next project and see if I like it better.
|Quilt blocks ready to assemble|
So I've been thinking about wonky log cabin quilt blocks, and some of the other non-traditional methods of assembling modern quilts, and a bit of that thinking carried over to a few of my collages. Or maybe it's the other way around.