Monday, April 21, 2014

looking under rocks

Sometimes I have to move rocks or concrete stepping stones so I can pull weeds or put in new plants. I consider the sight of a sleepy garden snake a fortuitous occasion. I have spied at least 8 or 10 of these rough brown earth snakes (Virginia striatula) in both front and back yard. This is a small non-venomous snake (7-10 inches) that eats earthworms and soft-bodied insects. To gauge its size, on the right side of the photo you can see a plant shoot just emerging from a seed.

I took a lot of photos before the snake disappeared into the grass. Note the black spots on the head and the forked tongue testing the environment.

Take time to look under rocks sometimes. It's such an interesting world.

CAVEAT: Respect Nature! I wear gloves when probing around rocks, just in case there are UN-friendly critters lying in wait. Depending on where you live, consider doing the same.

No comments: