Monday, May 11, 2015

Pretty Maids in a Row


I had these old plastic flower pots that I wanted to spruce up with spray paint. They're in good shape except for some staining & pitting and the grey doesn't blend well with my living room. I set the pots  on some sticks in the back yard (it's just too smelly of a job to do even in the garage) and the old nursery rhyme "Mary Mary quite contrary" suddenly came to mind. The last line goes "with silver bells and cockle shells and pretty maids all in a row." I'm sure I had that nursery rhyme read to me many times as a child. I remembered that many of those old English rhymes are euphemisms for much darker stories so I did a quick search and found this and this. Oh yeah they do look like beheading victims, don't they? Off with their heads!


I used Rust-oleum Painter's Touch 2X paint in Satin Espresso. Rust-oleum makes some lighter shades of brown, which I would have preferred, but this was all that was available at my local Big Box store. It's dark, but the color will still look nice in the living room when I bring plants in for the winter. A single coat covered the pots really well, although I missed a few spots around the rims. The paint stuck to the plastic really well, too. The smell is pretty strong. I could still smell paint after the pots stayed outside for 24 hours. I'll touch up the rims and by the time winter rolls around the paint smell should be gone. Except for some cracks on the bottom of the pots they look brand new!

No comments: