Sunday, April 13, 2014

springtime

Irises are blooming! A few plants had buds in March, but a late freeze put them on hold. Purple irises are my favorites. We're not having a fabulous show like last year because I dug up a bunch of bulbs when we moved and didn't get them planted right away. They're still getting acclimated to their alien surroundings. (I still have a few dozen in a box that are sprouting without the aid of dirt or light.) There are 4 or 5 dutch irises in several shades of purple and yellow blooming right now and one small Louisiana iris that bloomed for a day. Next year they should be more comfortable in their new home.


The best news is the hummingbirds are back. I spotted one in late March so I put out the feeders. Soon there were two birds. Two or three more arrived this week. This one is a male ruby-throated hummingbird, and I saw one male black-chinned hummingbird. They aren't acting overly territorial over the feeders yet, but I don't know if their comraderie will last.

No comments: